Monday, March 26, 2012

LOG files

Hi,
I have some LOG files, the extension of the file is LOG, and I don't know
where they came from. Some of them are named after my databases, and others
are not. One is almost 4 GB in size. GB is not a typo.
These files are locked, so I have to shut down to view them. Unfortunately,
they are not TXT files, so I can't view them anyway. I tried to rename the
files, but when I try and launch the application that uses SQL, I get an
error message.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.In SQL Enterprise manager , right click your database, go to properties,
then select the log tab, it will list the physical names of all of the tran
logs for that database..
"DCIFRTHS" <None> wrote in message
news:#6nh9Rb6DHA.3704@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> I have some LOG files, the extension of the file is LOG, and I don't know
> where they came from. Some of them are named after my databases, and
others
> are not. One is almost 4 GB in size. GB is not a typo.
> These files are locked, so I have to shut down to view them.
Unfortunately,
> they are not TXT files, so I can't view them anyway. I tried to rename
the
> files, but when I try and launch the application that uses SQL, I get an
> error message.
> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
>|||Okay. I have identified the log files, but I am still a bit confused. Why
are they listed as log files? I thought the transaction logs were the LDF
files?
Do you have any advice for truncating these logs and what settings are best
for them? How do I determine what information, and the date of the
information in these files?
Thanks so much !
"Wayne Snyder" <wsnyder@.computeredservices.com> wrote in message
news:esOBgDc6DHA.2692@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> In SQL Enterprise manager , right click your database, go to properties,
> then select the log tab, it will list the physical names of all of the
tran
> logs for that database..
> "DCIFRTHS" <None> wrote in message
> news:#6nh9Rb6DHA.3704@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have some LOG files, the extension of the file is LOG, and I don't
know
> > where they came from. Some of them are named after my databases, and
> others
> > are not. One is almost 4 GB in size. GB is not a typo.
> >
> > These files are locked, so I have to shut down to view them.
> Unfortunately,
> > they are not TXT files, so I can't view them anyway. I tried to rename
> the
> > files, but when I try and launch the application that uses SQL, I get an
> > error message.
> >
> > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >
>|||The LOG extension is commonly used for ODBC tracing. You'd want to check that (administrative tools,
ODBC).
> Why
> are they listed as log files?
Listed by who? Are then named .LOG? And are really database transaction log files? If so, ask the
person who created the database.
> I thought the transaction logs were the LDF
> files?
That is the recommendation, but you can name the files anyway you want.
> How do I determine what information, and the date of the
> information in these files?
If these are truly transaction log file, they are in binary format. You need 3:rd party app to read
the stuff, like Log Explorer from www.lumigent.com.
> Do you have any advice for truncating these logs and what settings are best
> for them?
Check out below KB articles:
INF: How to Shrink the SQL Server 7.0 Transaction Log
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256650
INF: Shrinking the Transaction Log in SQL Server 2000 with DBCC SHRINKFILE
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272318
Log File Grows too big
http://www.support.microsoft.com/?id=317375
Log file filling up
http://www.support.microsoft.com/?id=110139
Considerations for Autogrow and AutoShrink
http://www.support.microsoft.com/?id=315512
http://www.mssqlserver.com/faq/logs-shrinklog.asp
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
Archive at: http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver
"DCIFRTHS" <None> wrote in message news:ep3L33c6DHA.1556@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Okay. I have identified the log files, but I am still a bit confused. Why
> are they listed as log files? I thought the transaction logs were the LDF
> files?
> Do you have any advice for truncating these logs and what settings are best
> for them? How do I determine what information, and the date of the
> information in these files?
> Thanks so much !
> "Wayne Snyder" <wsnyder@.computeredservices.com> wrote in message
> news:esOBgDc6DHA.2692@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > In SQL Enterprise manager , right click your database, go to properties,
> > then select the log tab, it will list the physical names of all of the
> tran
> > logs for that database..
> >
> > "DCIFRTHS" <None> wrote in message
> > news:#6nh9Rb6DHA.3704@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have some LOG files, the extension of the file is LOG, and I don't
> know
> > > where they came from. Some of them are named after my databases, and
> > others
> > > are not. One is almost 4 GB in size. GB is not a typo.
> > >
> > > These files are locked, so I have to shut down to view them.
> > Unfortunately,
> > > they are not TXT files, so I can't view them anyway. I tried to rename
> > the
> > > files, but when I try and launch the application that uses SQL, I get an
> > > error message.
> > >
> > > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>|||Hi,
I am just checking on your progress regarding the information we provided you. Thanks for
Tibors efforts on your issue and I wonder if we have answered your question. If you
encounter any difficulty, please do not hesitate to let us know. Please post here and let us
know the status of your issue.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon...
Best regards,
Billy Yao
Microsoft Online Support
----
Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.
Please reply to newsgroups only. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment