Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Log Folder Creation

My Log file connection is set to "Create Folder". According to BOL, this seems to indicate that the folder(s) that the log file will reside in will be created if they do not already exist. Yet I am receiving a package validation error when I execute the package. The full error is:

The SSIS logging provider has failed to open the log. Error code: 0x80070003
The system cannot find the path specified.

As a side note, I thought that setting the connection to "Create File" would recreate the log file each time it ran but that does not seem be the case. Instead, the file gets appended.

The type (FileUsageType) property does not do anything itself, as connections do not really do anything. It is up to the consumer of the connection to validate the usage type and act according to their function.

The type indicates to the consumer what it is dealing with, as the connection UI validates that for you, but the consumer does not have to act on it all, but it would normally at least validate this. If I wrote a task that read data from a file, I would validate the file connection type was file exists, anything else would not make sense.

I don't think the log provider should accept a type of create folder, it really requires a file. It would make sense for it to overwrite the file if using create file.

|||

In my opinion, any process that needed to create a file should ALSO create the folder structure if it does not exist. (Especially loggers...)

If I log to \\MySystem\Packages\Logging\20060607\mylog.xml I should not have to create the "Logging" and "20060607" folders. In the case of SSIS and logging, you CANNOT create the folders since you would need a task to create the folders and logging starts BEFORE the tasks...

(I also think it is silly when a function that creates folders cannot create the entire tree but instead I have to call it separately for each level... but that is a horse of a different color...)

And I agree Darren, if set to Create File it should overwrite the file instead of appending it.

No comments:

Post a Comment