Monday, March 26, 2012

LOG files

I moved all my data files from mssql2000 to mssql2005.
problem is that my log files are GB's bigger than the MDF file.
Can I delete the LOG files? IF not, can I reduced the size?
How?
Thanks,
Raul Rego
NJPIESDo you mean transaction log files (typically .ldf) or something else? If you mean transaction log
files, then do not delete them (unless you are prepared to restore the databases from backups). You
can shrink the file size using DBCC SHRINKFILE.
Bu the fact that these are so large is an indication that you or your dba haven't thought out a
suitable backup plan for your database and set the recovery model accordingly.
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi
"Raul" <rrego@.njpies.org> wrote in message
news:26041173-37E9-44E0-AA79-CFDFC093EC5B@.microsoft.com...
>I moved all my data files from mssql2000 to mssql2005.
> problem is that my log files are GB's bigger than the MDF file.
> Can I delete the LOG files? IF not, can I reduced the size?
> How?
> Thanks,
> Raul Rego
> NJPIES

No comments:

Post a Comment